ADSM-L

Re: ADSM/AIX messages

1996-10-16 05:49:18
Subject: Re: ADSM/AIX messages
From: Francis Dequenne <syf AT ECMWF DOT INT>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:49:18 +0100
We are not using systemview, but may be you will find some usefull stuff from
this:

Just a reminder: If one calls
dsmadmc -console -user=... -password=...
,
one will receive a copy of all messages that are going to the dsmserv console.

What we do is as follows.
we have wrapped the call to 'dsmserv quiet' in a procedure that also start
a "logger" job, a couple of minutes after dsmserv is started.
This logger capture the dsmadmc -console output, put in front of each line a
timestamp, and store it in a log file. (We do not like at all the standard "act
log", only accessible via dsmadmc, slow, and incompatible with any standard
browser found on a unix system).

Other applications (e.g. distributed GUI message filters, tail-like
applications, admin using conventional browsers or grepers) can then go and
browse the contents of this file. May be you might create a job that tails such
a file and send messages to systemview.

On a daily basis, we copy this file to a "resting place", then empty it.

If you are interested, I can send you a copy of the perl scripts that we are
using to perform some of this stuff.

That works OK for us except that:

1)      We do not catch the messages issued immediately after dsmserv start up

2)      dsmadmc -console has a very bad habit of cutting messages in multiple
lines, even if working in a batch environment, which makes it difficult to
capture a "whole" message. (IBMers, is there a way I do not know to overcome
this?)

3) You are obviously dependant on the logger job to run to catch the dsmserv
messages. This has not been too much of a problem in our environment, recently,
though.

NB: At present, we are forced to write and maintain a large bunch of scripts
just to perform some basic ADSM monitoring, as the official tools ... leave
scope for improvement. We would dearly love IBM to provide tools that can be
used in a real world large size environment.

--
Regards
Regards

| Francis Dequenne  | Systems Section                  |      /~~\  /~~\     |
| ECMWF             | e-mail: fdequenne AT ecmwf DOT int      |     /    \/
\    |
| Shinfield Park    | Tel:    (+44 1734) 499361        |   ECMWF             |
| Reading           | Fax:    (+44 1734) 869450        |   ECMWF             |
| Berkshire RG2 9AX | Telex:  (+44 1734) 847908        |     \    /\    /    |
| United Kingdom    |                                  |      \__/  \__/     |