ADSM-L

Re: Backing up 500 gb/ hour

1996-09-13 23:32:05
Subject: Re: Backing up 500 gb/ hour
From: James Gibson <jgibson AT TYRELL DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 22:32:05 -0500
Matti Harvala wrote:

> > Hi,
> >         Anyone heard about the Openvision press release,
> >
> >         Apparently they are able to back up about 504 gigabytes
> >         of data, (oracle database) using their netbackup product.
> >
> >         Sounds good, we use adsmpipe and get at most 10 gigabytes
> >         an hour at most, even if Openvision are being a bit
> >         optimistic, even 200 gb an hour sounds great.
> >
> >         We will be attempting to backup 14 Tb databases next year
> >          it will take us a year to do!!!!
> >

> >         Any plans to make ADSM fster would be great !!
>
> I would not believe it immediately....
>
> The environment was surely built for that kind of testing not real
> life.....
>
>   Best Regards,
>   Matti Harvala
>   Unix System Manager
>   Salo IT Computing Services

> Matti Harvala       *  Phone:  +358 (0)10 505 2254
> Nokia Mobile Phones *  Fax:    +358 (0)10 505 2899
> P.O. Box 86         *  Mobile: +358 (9)40 556 5931
> 24101 SALO FINLAND  *  E-mail: matti.harvala AT nmp.nokia DOT com
In a nutshell it is OpenVision's NetBackup backup product operating in a
DEC Alpha (heavy on central storage) environment with STK Redwood tape
devices (12 MB+ per sec). I believe the press release backup was using
Oracle's Enterprise Backup Utility (OEBU) coupled with NetBackup as a
media manager to backup a very large Oracle data base.  The OEBU process
is capable of writing multiple I/O streams to NetBackup which in turn
writes to multiple tape devices.  OEBU manages the backup operation
while NetBackup controls all media related activities. I am currently
testing OEBU with NetBackup.  The data movement component seems to very
efficient, however, there seems to be a significant amount of overhead
between backup operations (OEBU prep time?). Preliminary analysis would
suggest that significant performance throughput would be achieved with a
few large Oracle data files than with many small Oracle data files
because of the prep time between backup operations.  For example, 5 2 GB
data files would be processed much faster than 20 500 MB data files. I
am preparing to test OEBU/NetBackup backup of an Oracle data base using
multiple (10) DLT 4000 tape devices.  I will provide performance numbers
sometime in the future.....