ADSM-L

Re: Backing up 500 gb/ hour

1996-10-13 13:15:40
Subject: Re: Backing up 500 gb/ hour
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 13:15:40 EDT
On Fri, 11 Oct 1996 09:56:51 EST Rick Tsujimoto said:
>     >Anyone heard about the Openvision press release,
>
>     >Apparently they are able to back up about 504 gigabytes of data,
>     >(oracle database) using their netbackup product.
>
>     >Sounds good, we use adsmpipe and get at most 10 gigabytes an hour at
>     >most, even if Openvision are being a bit optimistic, even 200 gb an
>     >hour sounds great.
>
>     >We will be attempting to backup 14 Tb databases next year
>     >it will take us a year to do!!!!
>

>     >Any plans to make ADSM fster would be great !!
>
>     If my math is correct, we're talking about 150megabytes per second.
>     Hmm, that's the most suspicious thing I ever heard :-)
>
>     What're using for a comm link?  Memory-to-memory?  Even if you stated
>     megabits, it's still fishy.

Without knowing anything about the OpenVision stuff, it IS possible to
achieve these types of storage rates by using parallel I/O techniques
and multiple systems, disks, tapes, and i/o paths.  I don't know if that is
what OV is doing, but I suspect it probably is based on the rates quoted.
..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601