ADSM-L

Re: Tape Processing

1996-10-08 13:34:00
Subject: Re: Tape Processing
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 13:34:00 -0400
Text item: Untitled
This may not be ADSM's fault.  We have an ATL also and have had problems
with mismatched internal & external labels with other jobs, not ADSM.  The
tape just keeps going up and down!  I think what is going on is that MVS al
location isn't going to give control to the application until the correct
volume is on the correct unit.  This is good!  It is one of the things MVS
is designed to do.  The new wrinkle with an ATL is that it won't quit the
way a human would and go find a solution.

You should be able to recreate this problem with IEBGENER, just to verify
that it isn't the application that is causing the problem.

Bill Colwell
The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory
Cambridge Ma.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
We recently started using an ATL with our MVS v2 server and have
encountered a p
roblem with the way the server deals with invalid labels.  We have
submitted a r
equest to ibm to enhance adsm to try another tape volume if it runs into a
probl
em with a tape volume label.  We have two instances in which the internal
label
did not agree with the external label.  Instead of marking the volume
unavailabl
e (as I believe it does with r/w errors), ADSM just kept on trying to use
the vo
lume.  This brought server operations to a grinding halt.