ADSM-L

Using ADSTAR for source code archiving

1996-10-08 09:31:56
Subject: Using ADSTAR for source code archiving
From: "Scott D. Courtney" <courtney AT TIMKEN DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 08:31:56 EST
Addressed to: ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
              thompsmi AT timken DOT com

Greetings!

Please pardon me if this is a dumb question, as I am a LAN admin who
supports clients, not an ADSTAR admin.

We are running ADSTAR server on our MVS mainframe, with mostly OS/2
and UNIX (various flavors) clients.  The backups and restores work
great!  However, we are interested in extending our use of ADSTAR to
archive (permanently) things like large source code directory trees,
project files, and so forth.  I am not sure how to do this.

Our system admin has established a "FOREVER" management class that
causes the archives never to be purged.  But we need a way to have
the archives be assigned a name related to what they contain, not
to the node from which they were saved.  For example, we develop
a software system called "ESPC Version 2.5" on several OS/2 machines.
After release, we want to archive the master copy (only) of the
source and executables, as full directory trees, but we don't want
to have to remember what PC was used to do the archive.  After all,
in several years (probably how long it will be before we touch the
code again) that PC probably won't exist any more.

Does a facility to do this sort of thing exist in ADSTAR, or is
there some way to use the DSM.SYS or DSM.OPT files to "fake it out"
and create such an animal?  I can think only of temporarily changing
the nodename of the archiving client, but that seems clumsy and
I suspect I'm overlooking a better method.

Has anyone done this before, or have you any suggestions?  Thanks!

Purgamentum init,        Scott D. Courtney, Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Purgamentum init,        Scott D. Courtney, Sr. Programmer/Analyst
exit purgamentum.        The Timken Company (Canton, Ohio, USA)