ADSM-L

SMTP vs. UNI ADSM processor

1996-10-07 08:03:21
Subject: SMTP vs. UNI ADSM processor
From: Digest Info Refcard <Dan.Crouse AT MAILPORT.DELTA-AIR DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 08:03:21 -0400
On October 1, Mike Kaczmarski  wrote:

> The ADSM AIX server 2.1.5.X code utilizes the POSIX threads
> implemented in AIX 4.1.4+ to support light-weight threading which
> helps performance somewhat on SMP machines.
>
> The ADSM AIX server 2.1.0.X server uses a kernel extension and
> heavy-weight processes and can run on AIX 3.5+.  If you choose to run
> the 2.1.0.X server on an SMP machine, we reccommed that you bind the
> executable to a single CPU for better performance.  There is a sample
> script named bind.dsmserv that is provided to do this for you.
>
> Mike Kaczmarski

My colleagues and I are  in the process of configuring an AIX ADSM server to
replace our MVS server.  We  would like to solicit opinions on whether we
would be better off to get an SMTP server or  a large UNI-processor.
 Throughput is very important.   All clients will be using TCP/IP as their
communications protocol.  Most of these clients will be connected to the
server via FDDI.  Our current MVS server has 110+ clients (this grows daily)
and is currently managing between 1 TB and 2 TB of data.  The database is
allocated at approximately 8 GB.   We expect this environment to at least
double within the next year.  Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

DanC
Daniel G. Crouse
Software Information Services, Inc.
Email:  Dan.Crouse AT MAILPORT.DELTA-AIR DOT COM
Vmail:  800-233-6838
Voice:  404-714-5754