ADSM-L

DataTools SQL-BackTrack interface to ADSM

1996-10-02 13:38:58
Subject: DataTools SQL-BackTrack interface to ADSM
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 13:38:58 EDT
Hi Melinda,  I'm not sure about your problem...have you contacted the
DataTools tech support...I have tele number 415-842-9117, or
support AT datatools DOT com.  My lead contact in DataTools is Randy Hellmonds,
randyh AT datatools DOT com.

>What is the best approach to compression?
>
>  ADSM-NO,  Backtrack-NO
>  ADSM-NO,  Backtrack-YES
>  ADSM-YES, Backtrack-NO
>  ADSM-YES, Backtrack-YES

Good question about compression.  In fact, I've just been having this
conversation with DataTools as we compared the Oracle OBACKUP support
with SQL-BackTrack.

My view is that you definitely don't want to use both SQL-BackTrack
compression and ADSM compression.  I don't have details on SQL-BackTrack's
compression algorithm, but it is more than just removing nulls....I suspect
it is similar to ADSM's support, but we haven't done any testing to compare
the results.  So, if you choose to use compression, you might try a test
with both algorithms to see which compresses your data best.

Whether you use compression or not is the same discussion for ADSM in
general.  You would reduce network traffic and storage space on the ADSM
server if you use compression, but you will increase client cpu usage.
If the client has enough cycles to handle the compression, and the network
is a bottleneck for you, it makes sense to use compression.
thanks,
Cyndie Behrens
IBM - San Jose