ADSM-L

[no subject]

1996-09-30 12:41:35
From: Mattern Chuck <cam03 AT HOMEDEPOT DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 12:41:35 -0400
>I don't know about HP, but I believe if you do a "restore by subdirectory"
>that empty directories will be restored ok.  If you do a "restore by file"
>or a "restore by tree", then they will not be restored (I think).  I don't
>have time to confirm this myself, but I recall seeing this earlier on this
>list.

My group typically uses the text mode client for restores due to the
slowness of the gui.  The only option here is:

dsmc> restore [options] /path/to/file

>The response that "empty directories were a sort of non-entity" should not
>be accepted from IBM (depending on the context in which it was made).
>It sounds like an avoidance response to me.

[Warning: soap box mode on]

Same here, a directory is there (usually) for a reason.  Stands to
reason that whoever put it there knows more about the necedssity of
it's existence than a client/server back up utility.

--
Chuck Mattern            "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.."
Chuck Mattern            "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.."