ADSM-L

Re: CLIENT INSTALL PROCESS

1996-09-26 13:43:55
Subject: Re: CLIENT INSTALL PROCESS
From: Julie Phinney <julphinn AT EMPHESYS.E-MAIL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 13:43:55 EDT
Price, Robert R. wrote:

> While the group is talking about the client install process...
>
> I have about 500 ADSM clients of various platforms that I maintain.
> When a new version is released, it is I who must upgrade each client.
> This currently is a client-by-client process and takes weeks.  What
> would be really nice is to put the new client code on the ADSM Server
> and set a switch that would cause each client to download the new client
> and install it automatically during the next incremental backup.
>
> Any thoughts from the group or from IBM on this idea.
>
> Bob Price
>
> Westinghouse I & T Information Systems
> 11 Stanwix Street
> Pittsburgh, PA 15222
>
> Email:   pricerr AT westinghouse DOT com
> Voice:  (412) 642-3634, (WIN) 272-3634
> FAX:      (412) 642-3929, (WIN) 272-3929

*** Comments From: JULPHINN - JULIE PHINNEY; 09/26/96 12:37pm
This makes so much sense.  I know some of ADSM's competition already
works this way.  They should be able to do it for us.  I wonder if
they don't because it might compete with their software distribution
product.
Julie Phinney
JULPHINN @ EMPHESYS.E-MAIL.COM