ADSM-L

Re: windows 95 client

1996-09-26 07:42:07
Subject: Re: windows 95 client
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,Corp,US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 07:42:07 -0400
        I've heard that the INDEX.STORSYS.IBM.COM site has a 56Kb internet
connection.  It seems to me that it would actually save IBM money if
they improved this - a better connection would mean that less people
would have to order this stuff to have it sent by snail mail (diskettes,
4 mm tape, etc.)  - I'd imagine the old software distribution process is
much more expensive than the recurring costs for something like a T1
intenet connection.
        Would also like to put my 2 cents in on the 'after download' process -
while the Unix distributions are fine, it's a tremendous waste of time
having to download files from the internet, then run LOADDSKF to create
diskette images for Windows and Netware which I then usually turn around
and copy back to a directory on an internal anonymous FTP server for
installation and distribution.  Could the LOADDSKF utility be improved
to allow you to send the 'diskette image' to either a diskette or a
directory on your hard drive ??  This would be a good compromise for the
folks who still want to create diskettes and those of us who would just
as soon not bother.

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com