ADSM-L

Client Install Process

1996-09-26 07:57:01
Subject: Client Install Process
From: Linnea Nichols <lnicho AT DIT.CO.FAIRFAX.VA DOT US>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 06:57:01 EST
To: [email protected] <adsm-l AT vm.marist DOT edu>

FROM: Linnea T. Nichols                           (703)324-2708
    Systems Programming Mgr.          LNICHO AT co.fairfax.va DOT us
    Fairfax County Department of Information Technology
Bob Price wrote:
>I have about 500 ADSM clients of various platforms that I maintain.
>When a new version is released, it is I who must upgrade each client.
>This currently is a client-by-client process and takes weeks.  What
>would be really nice is to put the new client code on the ADSM Server
>and set a switch that would cause each client to download the new client
>and install it automatically during the next incremental backup.

I couldn't agree more whole-heartedly! - I'm in the same boat as you,
just fewer clients -- but it's very difficult getting the new client
code out. And I have to have my own tracking system to figure out what
level of code each client is at. Being able to set a switch at the
ADSM Server to have the client download the new code would be a
great solution for me.

Linnea Nichols                          lnicho AT co.fairfax.va DOT us
Fairfax Co. Govt., Fairfax, VA                     703-324-2708
"Discontent is the first necessity of progress" - Thomas Edison