ADSM-L

Re: Spool Space and DLT

1996-09-18 19:36:39
Subject: Re: Spool Space and DLT
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 19:36:39 EDT
On Wed, 18 Sep 1996 17:56:16 -0400 Naveed Mustafa said:
>2 )  If someone has any recommendation for a good DLT tape library?   We shall
>be backing up probably 300 GB of data.

Is that 300 GB of compressable data, or already compressed data?

You can get a Breece Hill Q7 DLT robot which has 28 slots in it.  You can
get it configured with either DLT2000XT or DLT4000 drives.  The 2000XT
drives will hold 15GB, the DLT4000 will hold 20GB each.  This unit comes
with 2 drives.  You can also get a Q47 which has 60 slots and up to 4 drives.

Keep in mind that no tape library is 100% utilized.  You should probably
count on from 50-70% utilization.  (This is because you will never have
all of the tapes 100% utilized at the same time).  If you are looking to
store 300GB of data which has already been compressed by the ADSM client,
then look for a library which can store .5-.6TB.  If your 300GB number is
a summation of the disk capacities on your nodes, that would probably be
a much smaller number because (a) those disks are not 100% utilized, and
(2) you will compress the data either by the ADSM client or on the tape
device.

We have a Q47 with 3 DLT4000 drives.  We have had only 1 write error after
4 months of active use.  I have no experience with any other DLT drives,
but someone on this list recently reported some.

The Breece Hill units are marketed by several companies, including TTI.
The last time I looked, the TTI units were the only ones listed on the
official support list that IBM publishes, but I think any of them should
work the same.

..Paul

PS:  I have no affiliation with Quantum, Breece Hill, or TTI.
PPS: 4 months is not much experience with any tape unit.  However, ADSM has
     not supported DLT for very long, so you may not find much user experience
     using DLT with ADSM.

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601