ADSM-L

Question on using compression

1996-09-18 18:46:27
Subject: Question on using compression
From: Francisco Reyes <reyes01 AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 18:46:27 -0400
** Third attemp sending this message. The list server sent the first
2 back and the third the list server sent me an error saying that I
had sent the same message  and that I had to change it ***

Recently I added the -comp=yes to an scheduled archive. To my
surprise any operation, including another scheduled incremental
backup, are now been done with compression. Is compression a flag? If
I set compression=on on my option file will the -comp=yes overwrite
the option file?

After looking at the logs I found some interesting thing. 3 out 4 of
my scheduled clients doing incremental backup had a jump in speed
(from 100K/sec  to 200K/sec) and got compression rates of about %30.
The 4th client I am only getting 5% and the speed is basically the
same. Are restores from compressed file spaces slower? For the
clients I got an increase of throughput and a decent compression I
definitely want to keep compression on, but for the client that I am
not getting much compression or throughput increase then my only
consideration would be whether the restore will be faster if
compression is off.

I just checked the netware client book and noticed that for selective
backup there is a compression flag. Is there any way to specify on an
incremental backup compression on/off by means of the include/exclude
lines? How about an scheduled selective backup can I turn compression
on
or off?