ADSM-L

DB backup management

1996-09-13 12:31:02
Subject: DB backup management
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 12:31:02 -0400
        Has anyone implemented the following successfully?

1)      Have a small pool of tapes for ADSM DB backups (say 7-10)
2)      Set the recovery log to rollforward
3)      Set the incremental/full backup ratio equal to the number of
        tapes minus 1
4)      Simply rotate tapes in this pool.

        I _don't_ want an open-ended tape storage requirement for DB
backups because I don't have any need for more than 1 full at a time.
Can this be done (besides manually erasing the tapes and incrementing the
label by one _every_ time the tape gets recycled)?  Ideally, these tapes
would take up some space in a tape library and get automatically mounted
when the recovery log gets above the high-watermark.  _I_ want to control
the tape utilization, and I _don't_ want ADSM telling me when scratch
volumes are free or not.  In fact, I wish there was an option to let
rollforward-prompted DB backup to a particular tape pool (specially set
aside for backups, not sharing tapes necessarily with any
backup/archive/hsm pool, but it would be really nice to just declare
tapes to the ADSM tapepool and let ADSM sort out which tape does what)
instead of only going to scratch.

ps:     my server is ADSM/6000, using AIX v4.2 on a 590.

Thanks,
Matt