ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Server Selection

1996-09-10 13:06:51
Subject: Re: ADSM Server Selection
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 13:06:51 -0400
On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Andreas Floeter wrote:

> We also see that backup performance is degrading with many small files.

        That's to be expected, since writing lots of small files is less
of a hassle than writing a few large files.  Also, fewer files means
lower ADSM database utilization.

> Also the performance is better for selective backups instead of
> incremental, since mostly communication between the client and server is
> done.

        Exactly, since the client has to be told by the server exactly
which files get moved from a large pool of possibility, rather than from
a narrow slice of the client's disk.  However, for me, the most useful
part of ADSM is the incremental backup, so I don't worry as much about this.