ADSM-L

win-32 password option

1996-09-09 11:12:57
Subject: win-32 password option
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 11:12:57 EDT
This is a question for IBM:

The Win-32 client has both a GUI and a command-line interface (CLI).
This client also has a PASSWORD option in the DSM.OPT file.  However, this
option only works for the GUI, not for the CLI.  I was surprised to discover
this.  I was about to try to APAR this, since (1) the restriction is not
documented and (2) the restriction doesn't make any sense to me.  However,
I discovered that this had already been APARed, and the APAR was closed DOC.
I.e., the "solution" was to document the restriction!

My questions:

Is there a good reason for this restriction?

Will the restriction be lifted?  When?

Seeing this APAR closed as a Documentation issue is bothersome to me,
especially if there is no good reason that the code cannot be fixed.

It would be real nice to see the PASSWORD option implemented as consistently
as possible across platforms.  Right now, the OS/2 client does not even have
this option in the DSM.OPT file.

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601