ADSM-L

Migration times...

1996-09-06 08:48:13
Subject: Migration times...
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 07:48:13 -0500
     Are others seeing WIDELY varying times for migrations ?
     I'm AIX 4.1, ADSM 2.1.0.8 (will be 0.9 today) comming off SSA dasd and
     going to 3590 drives.  There are a few things I'm in the process of
     enhancing, such as adding another FWDiff SCSI card to put each tape
     drive on its own and I just max'ed out my MOVEBATCHSIZE at 250 (up
     from the 40 it was at...) I've seen a couple of things that I need to
     try to correct such as 46,657 files @ 38.5 GB taking 28 hours to
     migrate while 55,584 files @ 31.8 GB took 10 hours... each of these
     packed down onto 1-10GB tape and were each a process running against
     the same storage pool at the same time... other processes running
     against the same storage pool at the same time looked like 3hr40min to
     move 3,295 files @ 51GB, 5hrs to move 2,947 files @ 60 GB, 9 hrs to
     move 51GB (I don't have the file count on this one yet)

     Would others agree that a 59H or 591 used as an ADSM server should be
     limited to under 200 to 250 GB backup activity per 24 hour period...

     It seems that everytime I get in this range, all the daily activities
     start to run into the next 24 hours...

     I'm looking forward to U'all's comments...
                        (I'm from Oklahoma)

     later
          Dwight