ADSM-L

Re: Handling Copy Storage Pool Volumes

1996-09-06 02:56:11
Subject: Re: Handling Copy Storage Pool Volumes
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 23:56:11 PDT
I don't recommend trying to implement tape rotation-like schemes with ADSM.
My advice to anyone who is new to ADSM: read the Administrator's Guide from
cover to cover! In particular, chapter 14 discusses backup and recovery for
your ADSM database and storage pools. The Installing the Server and Admin
Client has a few bullets about integrating ADSM with CA-1: Set up CA-1 so
that it knows that ADSM is an external data manager (EDM). *All* ADSM tape
devclasses should have expiration dates of 99365 (permanent retention).
ADSM tapes should *not* be expired until the tape is empty (from ADSM's
perspective). Use the tape deletion exit, which allows ADSM to return empty
tapes to CA-1 for scratch. CA-1 provides a sample tape deletion exit called
TMSTMSTV. This exit (so I'm told) can pretty much be used "as is". All you
have to do is link-edit it, then code the DELETIONEXIT statement in the
server options file.

With the V2 R1 L0.9 PTF, we've made the DRM feature available. This helps
automate a lot of the stuff related to managing ADSM disaster recovery
media. Please note that this is a *licensed* feature.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support