ADSM-L

Re: Q's about weekly, monthly, yearly backups.

1996-09-04 10:01:42
Subject: Re: Q's about weekly, monthly, yearly backups.
From: Owen Crow <crow AT SUGAR-LAND.MIS.SLB DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 09:01:42 -0500
At 08:16 AM 9/4/96 -0400, Jerry Lawson wrote:
>Because of it's design, and the use of the Data Base, it is not a requirement
>to do full backups.

Thanks for this info, it helps explain things re: regular file backup, but
I should have said more about my situation. I'm doing backups of multiple
Oracle servers which are part of an SAP system.

The servers can only afford to be brought down once a week and fully backed
up. The full backup uses backing Then the transaction logs are backed up
daily for an "incremental" approach. This is the main system I'm trying to
work with.

>The design lets
>you always get to the latest copy of the files, thus allowing ADSM to go
>directly to the files that made up your disk the last time it was backed up.

This is great if I want the latest copy, but what if I want one from a
month ago when I know that virus wasn't a problem (or when that important
spreadsheet wasn't corrupted)? Or if I need a full system image from
January 1, 1994 for that tax audit? That's why I want weekly, monthly, and
yearly backups. If I'm reading you correctly, I'll have to set my retention
to 365*7 days and make it keep unlimited copies of each file (i.e. each and
every instance of a file), right? These tapes hold a lot, but not that much.

>As they said in Star Trek 5 "Let go of your pain....."

It's not really a pain, just a nagging cough <G>.

Thanks again for the great info,
Owen