ADSM-L

Re: AIX Server Hardware

1996-09-04 07:52:56
Subject: Re: AIX Server Hardware
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,Corp,US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 07:52:56 -0400
We're running ADSM on an RS/6000 model R30 (2 processors) with 768 MB
RAM.  We've got 2 SSA adapters and 1 full drawer (16) of 7133 4.5 GB SSA
disks for the recovery log (mirrored) and the disk storagepools.  Our
database (8 GB) resides on a full populated 7137-514 (?) disk array.
We're also using a 3494 library with 2 3590 drives, each on its own SCSI
adapter.   I was running the 2.1.5.x line of code (supports threads -
can take advantage of  multiple processors) but had to back off to the
2.1.0.x line of code because of some problems we were experiencing.  The
R30 uses the 601 processor and I expect the 604 processor upgrade we'll
be getting shortly will help us out (not sure what kind of processor the
C10 uses).  Couple of things to consider...

1) Do you need to run expiration processing daily ??  I've found that
running it just once a week on the weekends is sufficient.
2) Check your buffer pool sizes (i.e. cache hit ratios) and increase
them if necessary.  As with any database, ADSM likes to have memory
thrown at it :-)
3) I suspect having 1 SCSI port for you db/log/pools might be hurting
you... any way you can split at least the database onto a separate
adapter/set of drives ?  Another options would be to keep the db and log
on the EMC disks and take a look at IBM's SSA disks for the disk storage
pools.

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com