ADSM-L

Q's about weekly, monthly, yearly backups.

1996-09-03 12:58:54
Subject: Q's about weekly, monthly, yearly backups.
From: Owen Crow <crow AT SUGAR-LAND.MIS.SLB DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 11:58:54 -0500
[This is a question from someone who has no formal ADSM training but has
tried to read the ADSM docs on the subject, so it's a pretty newbie question.]

I am trying to understand how the traditional weekly, monthly, and yearly
backup schedules I'm used to translate into ADSM. By traditional, I mean the
following schedule:

Daily incremental backups are made for a machine.
Each week, a full backup is made and kept for 4 weeks.
The first weekly backup is also considered a monthly backup and is kept for
12 months.
The first monthly backup is also considered a yearly backup and is kept for
7 years.

This works fine in the one file system->one set of tapes->one backup mode,
but ADSM complicates things mightily.

I am trying to backup multiple systems each on a different day (for the
weekly) to a single stgpool (or active policy set -- I'm still a little hazy
on the nomenclature) and then backing that stgpool up to a copy stgpool for
off site storage. I want the off site tapes to be stored for a set period of
time (4 weeks, 12 months, or 7 years) and then be returned and immediately
re-used.

So my questions are do I need to use different management groups (policy
set?) with different retentions for the daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly
backups? Or do I need a separate copy stgpool for each type?

If the above did not make it clear, I am confused. Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Owen Crow