ADSM-L

Re: -fromdate= on AIX4.1 not working

1996-08-26 18:22:12
Subject: Re: -fromdate= on AIX4.1 not working
From: David Bohm <bohm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 15:22:12 PDT
I just opened informational APAR II09664.  The instructions are to change
the date from a 2 digit year in the locale to a 4 digit year but the same
process can be used for any dateformat, timeformat or numberformat change.

As an additional note I would like to emphasize that the dates stored in the
ADSM server are still 4 digits for the year.  It is just the commands
issued on the AIX client which use a locale that only allows 2 digits for
the year where 2 digit years get used.  I only want to make this clear
so users will not get alarmed about year 2000 concerns with ADSM.  This
happens on the AIX clients because ADSM is using the NLS functions in AIX
for processing date, time and number formats.  Previously ADSM dictated
what the output looked liked based on options file settings.  With the
NLS standards it can now be set in one place for all programs to follow.
I would not be surprised if you start having this same problem with other
products that are NLS enabled on AIX.

--------------II09664 text follows------------------------------------------
Beginning with the 2.1.03 level of the ADSM AIX client we are
Beginning with the 2.1.03 level of the ADSM AIX client we are
beginning to follow the XPG/4 X/OPEN standard for NLS.
For the ADSM AIX client this includes ignoring the DATEFORMAT,
TIMEFORMAT and NUMBERFORMAT options set in the client options
file and using the format specified in the locale.
This informational APAR is to instruct a user how to modify
their locale to change the date, time and number format.  This
information can also be obtained from the AIX manual "System
Management Guide:  Operating System and Devices" in the
chapter called National Language Support.
These instructions assume installation defaults are used for
the location of files.
1 - cd /usr/lib/nls/loc
    This is the directory that contains the locale files.
2 - cp En_US.IBM-8500.src newlocale.src
    In this step copy the source file for whichever locale
    you are using.  If you want to make this change for all
    programs using this locale then you can just edit the
    desired locale.
3 - vi newlocale.src
4 - To change to using a 4 digit year find the line that looks
    like
    d_fmt   "%m/%d/%y"
    This will be in the LC_TIME stanza of the file.  Change
    this line to
    d_fmt   "%m/%d/%Y"
    NOTE:  The only change is to change the lowercase y to
           an uppercase Y
5 - localedef -f IBM-850 -i newlocale.src newlocale
    This step builds the newlocale locale on the system.  If
    just changing the old locale it would be
    localedef -f IBM-850 -i En_US.IBM-8500.src En_US
6 - Make sure LOCPATH=/usr/lib/nls/loc which is the default or
    points to the directory where our locale information is
    stored.
7 - Set the environment variable used by the system for date
    and time formatting to use the new locale
    LC_TIME=newlocale
    export LC_TIME
Similar changes can be made to change the dateformat,
timeformat and numberformat for the ADSM formatted output.  The
environment variable for numeric formatting is LC_NUMERIC and
is located in the LC_NUMERIC stanza of the locale src file.

David Bohm, ADSM technical support.
David Bohm, ADSM technical support.