ADSM-L

Re: Cleaning Tapes in Libraries

1996-08-26 17:07:12
Subject: Re: Cleaning Tapes in Libraries
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 17:07:12 -0400
>If a SCSI library supports bar codes, any tape whose bar code is of the
>form CLNxxx will be assumed to be a cleaning tape by ADSM and will be
>ignored in normal dsmlabel and server processing.
>
>Dick Johnson - ADSM Server Device Support, IBM SSD San Jose

I don't believe that this is correct.  Cleaning tapes, in a 3494 at least,
are distinguished by their category codes: X'FFFD' for 3590 drives, else
X'FFFE'.  The "CLN" prefix is a convention, and may be arbitrarily overridden
via the "Cleaner masks" menu of the 3494 Library Manager.
This is bolstered by there being no "CLN" string in the dsmlabel binary.
So I have to believe that ADSM simply follows the protocols dictated by
the category codes of the library unit.
        Richard Sims, Boston University OIT