ADSM-L

"Merging" two server catalogs

1996-08-26 17:06:05
Subject: "Merging" two server catalogs
From: "John M. Sorensen" <sorensen AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 15:06:05 -0600
We are looking to implement two ADSM servers as a network
backup/archive service.  The two servers will each normally handle
about half the load.

If one server ever fails, we want to be able to "merge" the two
catalogs, move the tapes from the failed server to the working
server, and be able to continue to perform backups and restores
until the failed server is back in service.  The two servers are in
physically different buildings, which eliminates a point of failure.

I've looked at BACKUP DB and DSMSERV RESTORE DB, and
DUMP, etc., but I don't see any way to actually "merge" the catalogs,
or maybe even use "two" live catalogs.  I would even be willing to
have the catalog from the failed server be used by the secondary
server is readonly mode.

Can I accomplish this?

John Sorensen
sorensen AT storsol DOT com