ADSM-L

Expiring database backup backup volumes

1996-08-22 14:10:00
Subject: Expiring database backup backup volumes
From: Eric van Loon <evanloon AT KLM DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 19:10:00 +0100
Hi ADSM-ers,
We don't want applications to directly write to tape. That's why we have
defined DEVTYPE=FILE in all our deviceclasses.
However, when a database backup is made, the output file never expires. The
RETENTION parameter would be ideal for this, but for whatever reason ADSM
development decided to make this paramater only available when you write to
tape.
Has anybody encountered this same problem and how did they solve/bypass this?
I don't want to add additional high level qualifiers to my ACS routines.
We are running ADSM/MVS 1.2.09.
Thanks in advance for any reply!
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon