ADSM-L

Re: Largest File Size

1996-08-20 09:54:11
Subject: Re: Largest File Size
From: Helmut Richter <Helmut.Richter AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 15:54:11 +0200
On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Hans Beierle wrote:

> One of the known problems for (all?) ADSM clients is that only files
> up to a size of 2 gigabytes-1 are supported.
> My question is, how does ADSM deal with such files during backup ?
> Will these files be skipped, will a 'Sent Failed' be reported, or is
> there any other kind of notification ?

ADSM accepts the command without complaining but also without copying the
file. You will notice the problem when you attempt to retrieve the file.

We had the same problem and have opened a PMR in February. Unfortunately,
I have the number not at hand. The PMR seems to be closed meanwhile. The
last info we got is the following note of February 22 [translated from
German]:

  The lab is currently working on an APAR: IC12291. This APAR addresses your
  problem with a Windows NT client.

  Currently there are negotiations with the development lab whether
  to open another APAR for the AIX client. I keep you informed.

IBM AIX (on SP2) is apparently not a client that would be important
enough to IBM to be supported.

Best regards,

Helmut Richter

Dr. Helmut Richter                       Leibniz-Rechenzentrum
Tel:   +49-89-289-28785                  Barer Str. 21
Fax:   +49-89-2809460                    D-80333 Muenchen
Email: Helmut.Richter AT lrz-muenchen DOT de    Germany