ADSM-L

Re: Multiple ADSM servers using one (1) 3494 atl...

1996-08-15 20:31:38
Subject: Re: Multiple ADSM servers using one (1) 3494 atl...
From: Jim Mahar <Jmahar AT AOL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 20:31:38 -0400
We have a 990 and 2 R30s sharing one 3494 with 7 3590 drives. 5 of the drives
are shared between the 2 R30s and 2 are dedicated to the 990 which is one of
our 2 distributed adsm backup servers (the other is a J30 attached to another
3494). The 2 R30s are adsm servers used for archiving image data to the 3590
tapes.

The 990 has 4 scsi to the 2 drives to provide redundancy, both R30s have 10
scsi each to the remaining 5 drives. The 990 is also connected to a 3995
optial jukebox with 144 platters for an AFP OnDemand adsm application.

Each server runs its own lmcp daemon across a token ring. Each server has its
own scratch/private categories (300 - 400 - 500). After loading the tapes
I've found it easier to use MTLIB commands to initially set the categories,
then I use the CHECKIN LIBVOLUME -SEARCH to bring all the tapes into each
library.

We have experienced little problem sharing the 3494 except for operators
forgetting to check for mounted tapes during shutdown. We added MTLIB
commands for dismounts for all drives when shutting down.
                                                                         Jim
Mahar
                                                                          NYS
Tax & Finance