ADSM-L

ADSM Support for MS-SQL Server and other questions

1996-08-15 14:38:09
Subject: ADSM Support for MS-SQL Server and other questions
From: "Tony S. Awad" <103505.1323 AT COMPUSERVE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 14:38:09 EDT
Greetings Everyone,
We are currently in the process of looking at evaluating ADSM to backup and
restore our entire open systems environment which consists of NT, HP-UX, SP2 AIX
and Netware clients. Beside the normal end-user files; i.e., Mail and office
automation files, we have relatively large Sybase(10 on HP-UX and NT) and MS-SQL
Server (4.2 & 6.5 on NT) databases that we like to back up.
1) From your own experience, do you think ADSM is the right tool to backup those
databases?
2) What platform do you think we should install the server on? (Our initial
preference is NT when it becomes available but we also would like to utilize
existing mainframe silo and tape drives!!)
3) A major concern is those databases, we cannot afford to replicate them to
system files first before ADSM can back them up (we don't have any free DASD to
do so). Beside DataTools SQL-BackTrack, what other tools are available to assist
in backing up directly those databases while open (SQL-BackTrack is available
only under Unix)? Can we backup open NT databases directly?
4) ADSM documentation, specifically IBM s redbook  Using ADSM to Backup
Databases,  doesn t list MS-SQL Server as one of the supported RDBMS. Is anyone
out there using ADSM to backup MS-SQL Server databases?
5) What would be the load on the net if we would like to backup approx. 150GB of
data a night? I know that there are other variables to the equation to consider
but what do you think?

I do really appreciate your help and candid response in advance.

Thanks,
Tony Awad
TechData Corp.
tawad AT techdata DOT com