ADSM-L

Re: control over tape data set names

1996-08-15 08:32:06
Subject: Re: control over tape data set names
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 05:32:06 PDT
>I am new to ADSM, and doing initial planning of MVS server, prior to
>installation.  What controls are there for tape names?  The devclass prefix
>parameter implies that it only dictates the high-level qualifier?  I would
>like, ideally, to specify a unique ADSM HLQ and multiple second levels on a
>devclasses to conform to our naming standards and provide unique DSN's for
>our CA1 TMS to control vault movement (offsite copy storage pool).

>My understanding from book-  default is always ADSM.BFS and can only be
>changed to USERHLQ.BFS ??  Are copy group storage group tapes also
>ADSM.BFS, or do they generate different 2nd level, ADSM.CFS for ex.?

A PTF has enabled the use of multiple qualifiers in the PREFIX setting of
the devclass... with one caveat: you are still limited to a maximum of 8
characters in the prefix field, including the dots. Thus you can define a
devclass with a prefix like ADSM.OFF, ADSM.LOC, ADSM.A.B, etc. But you can't
have a prefix of ADSM.OFFSITE or ADSM.LOCAL because these exceed 8 characters.

The latest PTF level for MVS is V2 R1 L0.9. The PTF numbers are UN91696,
UN91697, UN91698, UN91699, and UN91700.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support