ADSM-L

Re[2]: Passwordaccess error message

1996-08-14 10:11:51
Subject: Re[2]: Passwordaccess error message
From: Jane Vaughn <Jane_Vaughn AT PCMAILGW.ML DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 09:11:51 EST
Does this bug exist on all ADSM server platforms?       - jav/ml

Subject: Re: Passwordaccess error message
Author:  "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> at UNIXGTWY
Date:    8/14/96 3:06 AM

>         The following error message appears periodically.  Passwordaccess is
> set to 'generate' for HSM to work.  The password has not been changed at the
> server.  MAILPROG did not send me a message that says the password has been
> changed.  In fact, I can easily fix it by reentering the old password at the
> client.  My question is where is the password stored on the client and why is
> this happening?   From dsmerror.log, this happened on 7/15, 8/3, and 8/13.
> The os for both server and client is AIX 4.1.4.
>

> # dsmmigquery
> ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
> space management Interface - Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.4
> (C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1996, All Rights Reserved.
>
> ANS4928E PASSWORDACCESS is GENERATE, but password needed for server 'ADSM'.
> Either the password is not stored locally, or it was changed at the server.
> Please enter password for node "RESEARCHSMP2.CC.VT.EDU":
>
> ANS4028E Session rejected: Authentication failure

This is a known bug. The ADSM-client sometimes looses it's password file
(in /etc/security/adsm), when lots of ADSM sessions are started in quick
sequence, which the HSM client does when migrating files.

Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Universitaetsrechenzentrum, Einsteinstrasse 60, 48149 Muenster, Germany
E-Mail: mersch AT uni-muenster DOT de                   Phone: +49(251)83-2488