ADSM-L

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR DELETING BACKUP FILE

1996-08-12 07:24:01
Subject: Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR DELETING BACKUP FILE
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 07:24:01 EDT
On 9 August 1996 Shirley Claggett wrote:
>      Looking for suggestions on how to configure the include and
>   exclude statement for deleting files after they have been backed up.

I haven't tried this, but it should work:

1.  Define a management class that has verexist=1 verdel=0 retex=0 retonly=0.
2.  Associate the file to be deleted with this mgmt class (via include stmt).
3.  Run an incremental backup.  This will re-bind the file(s) with the new
    management class.  This will get rid of any inactive backup versions.
4.  Change incl/excl to exclude this file from being backed up.
    (e.g., exclude filename)
5.  Run another incremental.  This will cause last remaining backup copy to
    be deleted after one day, the next time an inventory expiration runs on
    the server.

If you skip steps 1-3, this will also work, but the backup copies will
hang around longer on the server.

There may be an easier way to do this, but this is the first thing that
came to me.  I'll grant you that it's sorta messy.

..Paul