ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Macro 1500 byte restriction.

1996-08-07 13:44:25
Subject: Re: ADSM Macro 1500 byte restriction.
From: Tom Denier <tom AT STAFF.UDC.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 13:44:25 -0400
Pittson, Timothy ,Corp,US wrote:

> I'm running into a very interesting problem and was wondering if anybody
> has a workaround for it.  I ran an Export on an ADSM MVS server and am
> trying to Import in to ADSM on AIX.  The problem is the export was
> rather large - 328 tapes / 72 GB of data.  About 90% of this data is for
> 1 filespace (archive) so breaking up the export by filespace would not
> help.  The problem I'm running into is the 1500 byte restriction (with
> continuation characters) for a Macro.  For 328 tapes, with commas,
> continuation characters, etc.,  the macro is 2454 bytes. ADSM barfs when
> I try to run the macro because I've exceeded the 1500 byte limit.
> Without continuation characters, a macro is limited to 256 bytes.  Does
> anybody know of a workaround for this ???  I'm running ADSM V2.1.5.8 on
> AIX 4.1.4

You could do this using dsmadmc in batch mode to run the import command
directly, if batch mode works as documented in the ADSM release level
you are running. It does not work as documented on the Version 1 server
at our site; it has some kind of undocmented restriction on the length
of the command line. I have so far spent three days trying to find out
the exact nature of the restriction, and whether IBM plans to fix it or
to declare it a feature.