ADSM-L

Backup of empty dirs?

1996-08-05 14:43:47
Subject: Backup of empty dirs?
From: Ken Rackow <Ken_Rackow AT EM.FCNBD DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 13:43:47 -0500
     We are running ADSM v2 on an MVS server, with most of our clients
     running Netware 3.12.  When we simulated a disaster in which an entire
     client was destroyed, we found, after the restore, that ADSM does not
     back up empty directories. A call to IBM support confirmed that there
     was really nothing that could be done about this.

     Since we have a few applications that require empty directories as
     part of their installation, I've been tasked with finding a workaround
     for this situation.  I figure there's at least two approaches to this
     problem:

     1. Identify all of the empty directories and subdirectories  and place
     small "marker" files in them.

     2. Identify all of the empty directories and subdirectories and write
     a batch file or script that recreates them and then assigns the
     appropriate Novell bindery info after a catastrophe.

     The first solution won't work if the application routinely deletes
     everything in the empty subdirectory as cleanup.  I suppose I could
     write protect the marker files, but that might cause an application to
     get an error.

     The second solution might work, but would require an awful lot of work
     to initially set it up.  It would be very easy to make mistakes, and
     overlook directories with this approach, too.

     In either case, identifying all of the empty directories and
     subdirectories is no small job.  Keeping a list of these current would
     be even harder.  On my first pass of searching a directory list file
     for empty dirs, I stopped counting after I reached 500 empties after
     only looking through about 1/10 of the list.

     Has anyone else had to deal with this issue?  Is there a workaround?

     Ken Rackow
     Virtual Enterprise Group
     First Card
     Elgin, IL.