ADSM-L

Performance issues and stats

1996-08-02 15:14:00
Subject: Performance issues and stats
From: "Jon C. Austin" <TSSJCA AT SYSA.ADM.DUKE DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 15:14:00 EDT
We're on the edge of upgrading to V2 Server and possible putting a
OSA1 FDDI in our S/390 MVS where our server resides. Part of our just-
ification for this has been to perform incrementals on more clients
during an off-hours of window of 9p-4a weekdays. Now we're trying
to make sure we haven't got anything out of tune anywhere, on clients
and on the server before we do this ( to prevent the egg on face
syndrome). Let me provide this topology:

   Server: 9672 R22 S/390 MVS 4.3.2
           DISK: RAMAC1 escon attached
               Disk pool spans 6 volumes, and database on a separate vol
           Tape: 3494 Library escon attached all 3490 drives
           ADSM server level v1r2m14

   Network: all TCP/IP traffic
              RS/6000 Channel-attached
              Token-Ring in RS/6000
            campus topology of FDDI Ring and Cicso Routers, so most
            (not all) backups flow:

      client--->cicso--->FDDI---->cicso---->RS/6000---->Server

    most clients on 10MB Ethernet, some on 16 MB Token ring.

   Clients: mostly Netware/Solaris/AIX/OS/2 in that order.

  About 20 clients kick off 9p-9:15p (half netware/other half unix)

  Most UNIX clients are done in 45min-2 hours depending on incremental
  need.

  Other groups of Netwares come into the mix at 10p 11p and midnite.
    No more than 3 at a time.

  Most netwares finish, but can ususally take 2x or 3x time to back
  the same amount of data as the UNIX clients (most netwares are
  486 or higher CPU, 3.x and 4.x). Some will not even finish and
  only get around 350MB through in 7 hours!

I've been searching IBMLINK for tricks. Can anyone suggest some more?

I'll let you know, most of the netwares have their TCP buffers and
windows maxxed. I haven't messed much with the TPXGROUPMAX and
TXNBYTELIMITs, but would appreciate any good or bad info about tweaking
these parameters.

Much appreciated.....

|  Jon Austin                             TSSJCA AT SYSA.ADM.DUKE DOT EDU   |
|  Systems Programmer,                                               |
|  OIT Systems Administration Group                                  |
|  412 North Building, Box 90132                                     |
|  Duke University                           phone   (919)660-7024   |
|  Durham, NC  27708-0132                    fax     (919)660-7029   |
|               Duke University: Birthplace of 'USENET'              |