ADSM-L

How do you transfer ownership when hostname changes?

1996-08-02 12:51:19
Subject: How do you transfer ownership when hostname changes?
From: Vern Maxson <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:51:19 EST
We frequently take a machine out of service, change its name, and put
it back in service with a new function.  This is about to happen to
a machine that is heavily used by one of my clients.  She has archived
thousands of files (many Gb of data).  She is somewhat of a librarian
on the system, and authorizes others to access these files.  The
machine she archived these files from is being taken out of service,
so she needs to transfer her ownership of these files to another machine.
If won't work for her to go to the Utilities/Set authorization panel
and grant herself permission to access the files from another system.
She needs to own them from the new system so that she can continue to
grant and revoke access for others to these files.  Can this be done
without retrieving all the files and archiving them from the new machine?
(The new machine cannot have the same hostname that the old machine had.)