ADSM-L

Re: Tape Questions

1996-08-01 17:11:29
Subject: Re: Tape Questions
From: Walter Auerochs <Walter.Auerochs AT POST.DATEV DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 14:11:29 PDT
2) I think You have 200MB-Cartridges
If DATA is SOFTWARE-compressed by CLIENT (COMPression=YES|no|Client),
IDRC (You specified COMPRESSION=YES) can't reduce Your DATA significant.

We have a Problem with "FULL" Cartridges and "estimated Cap" <<< physical
Capacity.
To check Your situation use "AUDIT VOLUME 107428 FIX=NO"
Let me know, if You get ERRORS
if Yes, on which HARDWARE-Drives (original IBM 3480 or OEM)
--- On Wed, 31 Jul 1996 16:17:28 -0700  Frank Rehor <Frank.Rehor AT CLOROX DOT
COM> wrote:
A couple of questions re: tapes.  We are ADSM/MVS 2.1.03.
A couple of questions re: tapes.  We are ADSM/MVS 2.1.03.

1) We force a weekly full backup of certain clients to send offsite for
disaster recovery purposes.  These go directly to 3480 cartridges.  How can
I flag these as 'offsite' to ADSM?  For copy storage pools I use the
'UPD VOL ACCESS=OFFSITE WHERESTG=copystoragepool name' command and that
works fine.  How can I tell ADSM not to request a mount of one of the full
backup tapes for a file restore?  I would prefer not to make a storage pool
copy of these tapes to go offsite.

2) When I do a 'Q VOL' on a 3480 cart it shows:

Volume Name               Storage      Device      Estimated  %Util   Volume

                           Pool Name    Class Name   Capacity          Status

                                                         (MB)

 ------------------------  -----------  ----------  ---------  -----  --------

 107428                    BACKUPFULL   CARTSSOW        206.6  100.0    Full

I have 'COMPRESSION=YES' and 'MAXCAP=600 MB' in my devclass and these are IDRC
drives.  I should be seeing closer to 600 MB on the capacity. It appears that
the 206.6 MB displayed from the query is inaccurate because based on the total
number of MB backed up and the number of tapes used, more than 206 MB had to
have been written to each tape.  Is this a query bug?

Thanks,

Frank Rehor
frank.rehor AT clorx DOT com
(510) 847-4814