ADSM-L

ADSM server password lost

1996-07-26 21:54:21
Subject: ADSM server password lost
From: Mike Knight <knightm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 21:54:21 EDT
From: Mike Knight, ISSC Aerospace, (314)234-5096, KNIGHTM at ISSCVM
Inet:                                             KNIGHTM AT VNET.IBM DOT COM

 On 26 Jul 1996 18:27, Mandar Mirashi asked,

>    We're running ADSM version 2 on AIX 3.2. The previous consultant
>who set up the server has left the company and does not remember the
>admin logon and password.

The only way I know of to get back in is to start the server as a foreground
process.  Then you can define a new administrator or reset the password on
an existing one.  Then shutdown and restart the server normally.

    - Stop the running server.  Since you can't do this gracefully, you
      will have to kill it or reboot with ADSM startup disabled.
    - cd /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin
    - loadpkx -f pkmonx
    - dsmserv  (or dsmserv -F if you killed the old server processes.
    - You now have a "adsm>" prompt to work with.
    - Define a new administrator (DEFINE ADMIN and GRANT AUTH CLASS=SYS)
      or change the password (UPDATE ADMIN).
    - Test the ID from a dsmadmc session.
    - Halt the server.
    - Start the server normally in background.

>    Which file is this information stored in, and how can it be
>reset without reinstalling the whole thing?

This is kept in the ADSM database and there is no way to get at it.

         Mike (Just another user) Knight