ADSM-L

Re: Safe use of scratch tapes

1996-07-23 12:18:07
Subject: Re: Safe use of scratch tapes
From: Claudia Masters <cmaster1 AT TUELECTRIC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 11:18:07 -0500
Before implementing your ADSM tape management, verify that the contents of
your volume history are accurate.  Compare it to your tape system catalog.
Additionally, if you use CA's TMS verify the proper EDMID is in the TMC.

A few months ago I reported a problem to CA.  I found that it did not check
the EDMID prior to scratching a tape.  It only verified that it was an EDM
tape.  This is how we lost many DFSMShsm tapes.  They happened to be valid
DFSMShsm tapes that were in the ADSM volume history file.  They were
scratched when "DEL VOLUMEHISTORY ..."  was performed.   CA said they would
address that issue.  I need to check back with CA.