ADSM-L

Re: Server Refuses to delete volume

1996-07-23 09:01:19
Subject: Re: Server Refuses to delete volume
From: Bradley King <king AT MONTROUGE.GM.SLB DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 15:01:19 +0200
>>I'm using a Sun Solaris Server 1.2.0.  I had a random access volume
>>ie diskspace, that went bad. I was also requried to reinstall the server
>>loaddb, auditdb etc. The audit took about 20 hours of CPU time, for only
>>220MB of backup database, but finally completed successfully.  The no
>>longer existing physical volume is still listed as one of the volumes.
>>Here's the problem: it simply refuses to be deleted:
>>
>>adsm>  query volume
>>
>>Volume Name                  Storage         Device         Estimated
>%Util      Volume
>>                             Pool Name       Class Name      Capacity
>Status
>>                                                                 (MB)
>>------------------------     -----------     ----------     ---------
>-----     --------
>>/home/gm-share/adsm/stg-     DISK_SPACE      DISK               200.0
>12.6     On-Line
>> pool.0
>>/home/gm-share/adsm/stg-     DISK_SPACE      DISK                 0.0
>0.0     Off-Line
>> pool.1
>>A0696                        TAPES           TAPE_ROBOT       2,137.6
>94.1       Full
>>
>>I do:
>>
>>delete volume /home/gm-share/adsm/stgpool.1 discarddata=yes
>>
>>the system replies:
>>ANR 2225W Discard Data discard process termintated for volume
>/home/gm-share/adsm/stgpool.1 - volume
>>still contains data.
>>
>>Now what do I do?
>
> Try
>   audit volume /home/gm-share/adsm/stgpool.1 fix=yes
>
> I have run into a similar problems with tape volumes in my tape library.

>   Don Coleman,
>   Queen's University Computing & Communications Services
>   Kingston, Ont. Canada  K7L 3N6
>   Tel: (613) 545-2034   Email: Don.Coleman AT QueensU DOT CA

I can't do a move or an audit on a volume that does not exist! and
cannot therefore be varied online.  Apparently this is a bug in the
server.  I have much worse problems now with the server, it fails with
client backups, so the undeleteable volume problem will have to wait.

   |  Bradley King          Fax:(331) 47.46.72.12  |
   |  Schlumberger Industries - Gas Engineering    |
   |  50, ave Jean Jaures, 92542 Montrouge France  |