ADSM-L

MVS SERVER goes to sleep.....

1996-07-17 00:14:20
Subject: MVS SERVER goes to sleep.....
From: David Bohm <bohm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 21:14:20 MST
Jerry -

Actually a message is part of the design change.  The ADSM server runs
as multiple threads.  The thread that is waiting for a device to become
available is waiting in allocation code in the system not in ADSM.  The
change we are looking at making is to not tell the allocation request to
wait until a device becomes available.  This way we can control a number
of retries at certain intervals and issue a message after some time of
trying to perform the allocation but failing.

At this time once we issue that dynamic allocation request in that thread
it does not get control back to issue a message until the tape drive is
available.  It would be just as much of a change to have another thread
watch for a timeout on this thread as it would be to make the change to
not wait for the device to become available.

For the approach of handling tapes with low access in an automated library
I would have to think about that for a while.  The only ideas I can come up
with offhand would require some design changes to ADSM.  Maybe some other
people on this forum have ideas for how they handle this.

David Bohm, ADSM technical support.