ADSM-L

MVS SERVER goes to sleep.....

1996-07-12 14:38:51
Subject: MVS SERVER goes to sleep.....
From: David Bohm <bohm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 11:38:51 MST
Hello Jerry:

OK, I probably was not precise enough in some of my wording.  Of course
we would not ask for 3 tape drives up front because that would be a
waste of your resources.  These other drives could be used by other
ADSM processes so we can't just grab them.

What I really meant to say is when we are done with the first tape
and need a second tape there is one of two actions that can be performed

1 - If the number of drives as determined by the mountlimit is not in use
    yet then that second tape can be mounted without having to wait for
    a dismount of the first tape.
2 - If the number of drives as determined by the mountlimit are in use then
    we must wait for a dismount of a tape before we can ask for a mount
    of a new tape.

In the situation you have where 4 tape drives are in use ADSM will wait
for an unmount of one of the tapes before mounting a new tape.

For the request of ADSM putting out a message there should already be a
message from the operating system indicating ADSM is waiting for a device
to become available to satisfy a mount request.  Let me know if there is
not.  I am under the assumtion that there will already be messages issued
by the operating system.

I agree that there are some changes that could probably be made to ADSM
to change how this works.  My recommendation is to see if there will be
a code change made with APAR PN84364.  If not we will at least have the
input from the devlopers that worked on the APAR to understand if there
are some technical issues we are not aware of with being able to make
some changes.

I hope this helps to clear things up.

David Bohm, ADSM technical support.