ADSM-L

ADSM Manuals

1996-07-12 06:08:39
Subject: ADSM Manuals
From: Michael Fink <Michael.Fink AT UIBK.AC DOT AT>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 12:08:39 +0200
On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Dirk Kastens wrote:

> I hate these manuals!!!!!

I second. They are entirely task-oriented (looks like an old IBM
tradition) and good only when you already know what you should be
doing.

In addition, however, a manual focusing on ADSM structure, functionality
and semantics would be strongly needed. This would be a manual which -
among other things - describes the format and semantics of every
configuration file and option, the interplay of the various server and
client components etc., briefly: how the system is organized and how it
functions instead of how to operate it.

To my experience, operational issues can be easily deduced from a
products' structure, which is typically much easier to remember
than thousands of operational details.

Sincerely, Michael Fink      (joining the club soon ...)

        EDV-Zentrum | Universitaet Innsbruck      | Tel: +43(512)507-2311
 Computing Services | Technikerstrasse 13         | FAX: +43(512)507-2944
--------------------+ A - 6020 Innsbruck, Austria | Michael.Fink AT uibk.ac DOT
at