ADSM-L

Offsite Copies for Disaster Recovery

1996-07-11 11:00:07
Subject: Offsite Copies for Disaster Recovery
From: Martha Cooper Golden <mgolden AT TENET DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 10:00:07 -0500
We have ADSM version 2.1 running on an MVS server.  We back our clients
up straight to tape, i.e., we have no DASD primary storage pools.  We are
in the process of setting up procedures to create and manage offsite
copies of the ADSM database and the primary storage pools for
disaster recovery purposes.

We have around 400 volumes (3480 cartridges) in our primary storage
pool.  Since we think it will take a tremendous amount of time to make
the initial full backup, we are trying to find a way to 'phase in' the
creation of offsite copies.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Does
anyone have even a rough idea of how long it would take to create the
offsite copies (the MVS server is an Amdahl 5890 300E with 160 mg of
memory.)

We think we will execute the following tasks daily:  1) Perform
reclamation of offsite copies, 2) Perform backup of primary storage
group, 3) Perform backup of ADSM database, 4) Create copy of Volume
History File, Options and Configuration files, 5) Create print of
'vital' information, 6) Create Pull Sheet for tapes to be pulled and
moved offsite.

We have no idea how long reclamation of offsite copies will take.
Reclamation of primary groups seems to go on all the time.  Is it
unreasonable to expect to reclaim offsite copies every day?  How will we
know when the reclamation is complete so that we can backup the database
or, at least, create the Pull Sheet?

We welcome any comments on our proposed procedures and would greatly
appreciate your forwarding any routines which could automate the
starting of these tasks described above which are dependent on the
completion of another.