ADSM-L

Re: multi-user unix systems, and the PUDM

1996-07-11 03:29:43
Subject: Re: multi-user unix systems, and the PUDM
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 09:29:43 +0200
Wendy Alberg <WAXY AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU> asked:

> We've had trouble with one AIX system removing the file the password
> is stored in. I don't remember the name of the file; Reinhard, do you
> know it offhand? We don't know why the system removes the file. The
> system administrator now keeps a copy of that password file in another
> place so she can restore it quickly when the system trashes it.

The file is in the directory /etc/security/adsm.

We saw clients lose their password files when they opened many ADSM
sessions shortly after another, e.g. by a shell script. I have seen this
problem documented somewhere, but cannot find it now. To avoid it, insert
a "sleep 2" into your shell script before opening the next ADSM session.
Of course, this only helps, if ADSM is invoked from a shell script. I have
also seen this problem, when the ADSM sessions were opened by the HSM-client.
In this case, I could not find a circumvention.

Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Universitaetsrechenzentrum, Einsteinstrasse 60, 48149 Muenster, Germany
E-Mail: mersch AT uni-muenster DOT de                   Phone: +49(251)83-2488