ADSM-L

Re: multi-user unix systems

1996-07-10 09:45:38
Subject: Re: multi-user unix systems
From: Wendy Alberg <WAXY AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 09:45:38 EDT
>> This is exactly how ADSM works. I haven't found a reference that
>> says explicitly that this is how it works, but check out p. 244-248
>> in the ADSM R2 UNIX User's Guide and Reference where it talks
>> about authorizing other users to restore or retrieve your files
>> and restoring or retrieving other users' files. It implies there
>> that users can only get to files they own unless other users
>> explicitly give them access to the other users' files. And I
>> know it works this way on our unix systems: by default you can
>> only access your own files.
>
>Then I made a mistake. We have tested this several times.
>Using the dsm GUI, user_b was able to restore files from
>/home/user_a into his own home directory without being
>explicitly authorized. We are running scheduled incremental
>backups of the user's home directories every night.
>So, what are we doing wrong?

Or maybe we are doing something special to make it work this way.
Let me poke around our system some more to see if I can find
something like that.

Wendy Alberg                      Phone:  607/255-2672
Network & Computer Systems        Fax:    607/255-6523
Cornell Information Technologies  E-mail: wa10 AT cornell DOT edu
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY    WWW:    http://dwrgi.cit.cornell.edu/