ADSM-L

Re: multi-user unix systems

1996-07-10 04:52:01
Subject: Re: multi-user unix systems
From: Helmut Richter <Helmut.Richter AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:52:01 +0200
On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Bernd Dammann wrote:

> Just to add to Dirk's experience:  We have the same problem!
> Every user can restore any file from the backup, if she/he knows the
> node password.  The description Wendy refers to works perfectly for

Exactly. If you have a true single user system, this single user may know
the node password. If you have more than one user, you need to use the
PASSWORD=GENERATE mechanism. ADSM treats everyone as root user who
specifies the node name and knows the node password. As far as I know,
this feature is not documented.

Dr. Helmut Richter                       Leibniz-Rechenzentrum
Tel:   +49-89-289-28785                  Barer Str. 21
Fax:   +49-89-2809460                    D-80333 Muenchen
Email: Helmut.Richter AT lrz-muenchen DOT de    Germany