ADSM-L

APPC - OS/2 client to AIX server

1996-07-09 21:01:43
Subject: APPC - OS/2 client to AIX server
From: David Bohm <bohm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 18:01:43 MST
Well the last one went over well so I thought I would add another one
of my configuration adventures.  This one was a group effort that we
decided to go through for our own educational purpose.

We followed the instructions on page 46-50 of ADSM for AIX
Installing the Server and Admin Client Version 2.

1 - The setup information does not tell you how to get the token
    ring address for your machine.  Use lscfg -v -l tok0 to get
    the token ring address.

2 - page 47 step 1 tells you to perform an initial node setup but
    does not tell you how to get to that screen.  The steps are
    the same as a and b under step 2 then click on Initial Node
    Setup.  This only needs to be performed if it has not already
    been done.

3 - page 47 step 2 h. tells you to supply a profile name.  This can
    be confusing making you think that you need to make up a profile
    name.  This is not true.  You use the list option on the profile
    name box and select the profile name for the token ring card that
    you will be using for SNA communications.  This was created during
    the initial setup.  Most customers will probably have only one
    token ring card.

4 - page 49 step 4 g. 1) the profile name for the TPN profile must be
    uppercase here and in the server options file.

5 - The instructions never tell you to start SNA.  SNA must be started
    before the ADSM server is started.  With the V2 server during
    installation it will put a statement in inittab to automatically
    start the ADSM server.  There should also be a line in inittab to
    start the sna server.  On our system the rc.sna script contains a
    comment for starting the server.  This statement needs to be
    uncommented for the sna server to start.  You should also verify
    the line to call the rc.sna script is before the line to start the
    ADSM server and the inittab entry for stating sna is for a type
    wait.

6 - There are no instructions that tell you every package you need
    installed on your AIX machine.  Of course the SNA SERVER/6000
    package needs to be installed, but during step 5 a. on page
    50 we received
    mkdev: 0514-520 Cannot find information in the predefined device
            configuration database for the following:
            type = 'tokenring' AND subclass = 'dlc' AND class = 'dlc'
    This problem was caused because the token ring data link contol
    support was not installed.  This is in package bos.dlc.token.
    This does not prevent TCP/IP from being able to communicate through
    the token ring card.

7 - On the OS/2 side the setup is fairly straight forward.  There are
    two problems we ran into.  The first is in the DEFINE_LOCICAL_LINK
    ACTIVATE_AT_STARTUP needs to be set to no.  If it is set to yes
    you will have to reboot your machine or you will get sense data
    FFFF0003.  The second problem is dsmserv must be in lower case in
    the CPIC side information.  If dsmserv is in uppercase you will
    see SNA sessions started on the AIX machine but they never get to
    the ADSM server.  This will cause the client to hang for a long time
    before failing.

Hope this helps with anyone going through this same configuration.

David Bohm, ADSM technical support.
May the Force be with you