ADSM-L

Re: ADSM TAPES AND CA-1 VAULTING

1996-07-05 08:29:48
Subject: Re: ADSM TAPES AND CA-1 VAULTING
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 05:29:48 PDT
Mike Cotton asks:

>We use CA-1 as our tape management tool.
>
>I can force ADSM tapes onto a particular series of cartridges by
>manipulating the high level qualifier in the tape name.
>
>The difficullty comes from the fact that ADSM tapes are not catalogued and
>are thus difficult to get automatically onto CA-1 vaulting lists. This means
>that our  ADSM administrator (me) has to do this manually. Obviously this is
>not an acceptable state of affairs and I'm sure I've missed something
>somewhere.

I'm not an expert in CA-1 so I might have this wrong. But I thought there was
a place in CA-1 where you could specify, by data set name (or partially-
qualified name) which tapes you wanted to vault offsite. In particular, there
is a member of a CA-1 data set that you could configure.

This being the case, you can set up a different device class for your offsite
tapes (like copy storage pools and data base backups, for example) that has
a different prefix from your local ADSM tapes. For example, I used to use
'DSM' and 'DSMVAULT' for my local and offsite tapes, respectively. CA-1 was
configured to flag all tapes whose data sets began with 'DSMVAULT' for offsite
vaulting.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support
408-256-0130