ADSM-L

Re: Tape Conversion

1996-07-01 17:13:00
Subject: Re: Tape Conversion
From: J Holdren <JFH5 AT PSUVM.PSU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 17:13:00 EDT
  On  Mon, 1 Jul 1996 at 11:53:36 jnoliver said :

>I am running a version 2 server on MVS. My TAPEPOOL and DisasterRecoveryPOOL
>reside on approximately 2,600 3480 cartridges. I plan to convert these
>pools to 3590 magstar. Does anyone know a painless way to convert?

Hi Joe,

We recently completed a similar conversion.  Although we started with
3490 tapes not 3480s, roughly 650 of them.  All drives are located
in a 3494 Tape Library.

This is what we did...  it was relatively painless but did consume a
large amount of time.

After drives are defined and working
  -  create new tape storage pools that use the new drives (ex. 3590POOL)
      ( make sure you define enough volumes in the new storage pool to
        handle all the data in the 3480 tape pool )

  -  point your disk pools to the new storage pool using the 'update stg'
      command.

  -  update the old tape pools to migrate to the new stor. pools

          EX.  update stg TAPEPOOL nextstgpool=3590pool

  -  now change the highmig and lowmig value of TAPEPOOL to 1 and 0
      respectively.  This will start a normal background migration
      process to the new tape pool and likewise the new tapes.
      You are going to have a few extra tape cartridges around.  B-)

          EX.  update stg TAPEPOOL highmig=1 lowmig=0

      You could combine the last two examples into one single command.

  -  when the migration is done ( long time ) you can delete any unwanted
      tapes and the old storage pools.

This assumes you have extra 3590 tape drives to handle the normal
business of running the server.  (i.e. reclaims, disk pool migrations,
restores, etc.)

Good luck.

J Holdren                   (~              Center for Academic Computing
jfh5 AT psu DOT edu            PENN_)TATE          224A Computer Bldg
1 (814) 865-2964                            University Park, PA  16802