ADSM-L

water inside tape cartridges- Help !!

1996-06-24 08:16:16
Subject: water inside tape cartridges- Help !!
From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 07:16:16 -0500
This weekend we had a major leak in the tape storage area, and now find that
quite a few of the ADSM 3480 tape cartridges have water inside the
cartridge.

ADSM wanted to mount some for space reclamation, and we were afraid to do
that... so we cancelled the reclamation.

Question... since we don't "need" the data on these cartridges right now for
a restore operation... would it be easiest to just delete the volumes that
are damaged from ADSM ?? Will this cause ADSM to realize he does not have
backups of some data for some clients and on their next backup attempt be
sure to get a version of the data that has been lost ????
I think if I query the contents of the water logged volumes, ADSM can
tell me what client nodes it has data for, without actually loading the
tape to read it... just get all the info from the database..
Given that, I would know what clients to do a backup on ASAP to be sure we
have a copy of all their data.

The only exposure I see with this approach is that for any file on the
damaged
cartridges that has since been deleted by the client node... I can't get
a backup of it to replace the damaged one.

Does anyone have any better ideas ???  Does anyone know how to salvage wet
3480 cartridges ??

Thanks

Susan McClure
Rice University